My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I lov'd, I lov'd alone.
~Edgar Allen Poe
Chapter one
Memories
Here you are, reading this book and thinking, "I wonder why I am reading this. . ."
The answer is simple. You saw the name and you thought about all the rumors you have had some connection with, and you thought this sounded interesting. Well, let me tell you that if you have been the creator or victim of a rumor or more, you will have some interest in what I am wishing to tell you. Here is my story. It is not very adventurous or couragious, but it is true. And though the truth is not always as interesting as a lie, it is still a tale that has some meaning. This is what I have to say.
I stood on the porch of my leeds house. It was raining hard. My step father, Jeffery, was sitting in a foldable camping chair behind me. "Bad wheather." He said, trying to break the silence.
"Yep." I said. I was not in the mood for chatting and I figured no matter what I said, this conversation would end badly. "I'm cold," I lied, "I am going inside." I was afraid he was going to insist that I stay out and watch the rain, but he simply made a noncomital sound and so I went back inside. The room was gloomy but it was not only because of the wheather. It was always gloomy in that house. The lighting was not that great. I looked over at my mom, who was sitting in front of the computer playing, Zama, a game she had become addicted to in the past few days.
"Hi, sweety." She said, not making the effort to turn around to see which 'sweety' she was greeting.
"Hi, mom." I said, not paying much more attention to her than she was to me. I walked through the computer room to the kitchen which was almost all made of light wood. I passed the Microwave and went past the bathroom that I knew had a big hole in the wall. Entered the Living Room and walked past the couch which almost faced the electric fireplace but not quite. I walked towards the back door, but just before I got to it, I turned left and entered the room I shared with my 14 year-old sister, Michelle.
From where I stood, I was facing one of the windows that had a dresser under it. On my right, there was a queen-sized bed with no frame, and to my left, was the entertainment center with a TV and a playstation one. I sat down on the bed and wished Michelle was home. Michelle was at school along with my older sister, Lizzie. They would be home in about an hour, but I knew it would seem much longer. I wondered what I should do while I waited. I went into the Living Room and turned on the TV. There was nothing good on so I turned it back off and headed to the computer room to talk to mom. As I entered, Jeffery burst throught the front door with eyes lit up with excitment.
"Did you hear it?" He asked and then, without waiting for an answer, he said, "Lightening struck a power pole outside! It was amazing!" he was almost jumping up and down with excitement.
I walked out behind him, excited but not excited enough to run in the house. Mom followed us, but it seemed she was not very interested at all. Outside Jeff pointed at the blown pole and I was amazed to see that there was not much to look at. It looked fine to me. "We should not have power, lets go in and check." Jeff turned around and walked almost into me. Luckily, I was used to this and moved out of his way to save his precious energy.
When we went inside we started trying lights.
We had not had any lights on before that, so we had to turn them on to check until mom pointed to the computer and said, "The computer is still on, so apparently, we still have power." We had not noticed that the computer was on until that moment, but then we turned and looked at it. Sure enough, the Zama main menu was staring at us with an eery light.
"That's odd." Jeff said, probably wondering in his head what to say to make it sound like he had known it all along.
I did not say anything because, even though I had information that could be useful to the discussion, I knew that a child's opinion was not worth acknowledging.
"Well, at least you have something to tell your sisters when they get home." Mom said to me.
"Yeah, that'll be great."
I left the room and headed back to my room. When I got to it, I went to the bed and laid down. I could barely breath with my face in the pillow, but I didn't care.
I must have slept for an hour because the next thing I knew, Michelle was putting her bookbag on the floor next to the dresser and saying my name over and over, trying to wake me up.
"Finally. I thought you would sleep forever!" She looked tired, I wondered what had happened at school.
"What a wonderful 'hello'." I said sarcastically.
"Ha ha ha." She actually giggled after she said it.
I got off the bed and went to her to hug her. She opened her arms wide and we embraced.
"I missed you." We said in unison.
When we released our hold on each other, we started talking. Aparrently she had gotten suspended for punching some girl and she had had to explain way too many times and that was why she looked so tired.
"Why did you punch her?" I asked.
"She slapped me."
"Oh."
"Yes, 'oh'"
Suddenly Michelle started tickling me and we both fell onto the bed laughing. As breath started to seem impossible and I was laughing silently, Michelle stopped and I started to catch my breath.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment